Rwanda, Jan 22 – Rwanda’s fish export earnings saw a significant rise in a space of 11 months in 2017, with the country raking in $18.14 million from the previous tally of $15.66 million that was fished between January and November in 2016. The country saw a 16% margin in the export earnings between the two years.
The country has been on the loop to increase the fish production to around 130, 000 tonnes by the year 2020. The target is to help improve both local and export markets with a boost on the volume of production.
DR Congo imported a massive 99.55 per cent of Rwanda’s fish, with the remainder spoil shared by Burundi and Uganda, in that order.
It is understood that Rwanda chooses to re-exports most of its imported fish to the DRC. Rwanda remains to be a net importer of fish from Uganda and Tanzania, with their presence to water body, Lake Victoria.
Rwanda fishermen have been asked to acquaint themselves with new techniques of fishing to better the industry’s production. They have been asked to put more effort in capturing sardines that is tipped as a staple food in DRC. This tip off will lead to a higher demand for the sardine which already has a ready-made market to be consumed.
Rwanda needs to support the local market with growing demand of fish, and they could be fish importers for the next two years.
On the other end, eggs export revenues brought in $4.94 million between the months of January and November 2017. The figures saw an increase of 187 per cent from the previous revenue of $3.21 recorded in the earlier year.
Again, DR Congo was at the core of the receiving end of Rwanda’s eggs, enjoying the lion’s share of 99.42 percent, with the remaining 0.58 percent taken by Burundi, as filed in the reports by National Agricultural Export Board (NAEB).